Saturday, June 27, 2009

RHUBARB PUNCH RECIPE

Here is a clever use for an old spindle bobbin. I have a lot of them all with different colors of thread wound on. I put a simple bouquet (to match the thread) in the hole in the top and wound some rusty wire around the top with a loop for hanging. For a splash of color, a strip of homespun would look cool. Isn't she sweet? I like to make my dolls versatile. I will sew the hands together and then I have a place for a seasonal ornament such as now with the bouquet of daisies or a flag or both. In the fall she will look great with a small pumpkin tucked in her arms. At Christmas, I make stick trees and she can hold one of those.
So, a couple of months ago I promised a recipe for Rhubarb Punch. Well, I made some and am offering samples in the shop this weekend. It is delicious. My significant other keeps asking for some, so I made him a batch too! I have a cupful here next to the computer as I'm working right now.
RHUBARB PUNCH RECIPE
Simmer 1 to 1 1/4 cups sugar in 2 cups cold fresh water just til sugar dissolves (5 min.). Let cool and put into a large pouring container.
Simmer 2 lbs. (about 6 cups) fresh or frozen rhubarb* diced in 1/2" pieces in 4 cups cold fresh water about 10 min. covered.
Turn off the heat and let steep covered til lukewarm then strain into the large container with the sugar syrup you made earlier.
Add 5 - 6 more cups cold fresh water, refrigerate til cold---stir and ENJOY ! ! !
I garnished with fresh lemon balm and mint would be nice too! Let me know what you think!
*I have fresh rhubarb that I froze already diced in 2 lb. packs in the shop.




1 comment:

Holly Hills Primitives said...

What a great idea for the bobbins! Can't wait to try it this weekend. Also, the punch looks delicious. I'll have to see if my mom still has some rhubarb! Thanks, Dawn